Aucklanders could see their water bills more than double, after Watercare approved a rates increase in order to help plug a fiscal hole. The plan – spurred on by the Covid-19 pandemic and the region’s long-lasting drought – was approved by the board at a meeting on 23 December last year and will be included in the Auckland Council’s draft 2022-2031 Long Term Plan (LTP). However, RNZ reports, the LTP will be submitted for public consultation in February 2021 and is yet to be approved.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor