Auckland’s council-owned water company, Watercare, has spent nearly $40,000 for a membership with the libertarian think tank, The New Zealand Initiative. Stuff reveals the spending came to light as Watercare proposed delaying some major projects and hiking water prices by 7 per cent, to offset an Auckland Council-wide budget squeeze over the next few years. Watercare says it hasn’t yet considered whether it will renew its membership this year.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor