RNZ reports on Auckland Council’s proposal of a one-off 5 percent rates increase next year as part of its Covid-19 recovery plan. Auckland Mayor Phil Goff says now is not the time to cut back on fixing the city’s infrastructure. “Without a suite of measures to counter the $1bn financial hole caused by Covid, our city will go backwards,” Goff said. “We don’t want a city full of potholes and unkempt parks, so we need to take more urgent action now.” Public consultation starts in February.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor