A security guard, who fears losing his job if he is named, has told Stuff that he believes the number of weapons being brought into bars and clubs around Auckland is much higher than the public thinks. The guard spoke out about the problem in the wake of recent firearms incidents at city nightspots. Gang members showing up to clubs almost always carry some sort of weapon, he said, “…and security are the ones on the frontline not properly equipped to deal with it.” In November, the Police Association urged the government to hurry up with its firearms register in order to stem the flow of guns to criminal groups.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor