Inmates at the country’s toughest jail recently took part in a parenting programme called Taonga mō ngā Tamariki – a program which has taught the men how to build and retain positive relationships with their children through reading and game play. RNZ reported that, for a few hours over the weekend, a group of fathers inside Auckland Prison were able to bond with their children, making Christmas gifts and reading together. The men decorated a room with balloons, tinsel, streamers and even a small Christmas tree in preparation for the day.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor