Auckland’s Finlayson Park School is one of many New Zealand schools missing more and more students as 2020 drags to a close. Principal Shirley Maihi notes that she has battled non-attendance for all of her 52 years in education, but this year has been particularly bad. The pattern in her decile 1 south Auckland primary has played out across the country, with data collected by the Education Ministry showing that attendance patterns at lower decile schools still hadn’t recovered.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions