East Auckland MPs have launched a petition calling for funding to be reinstated for the only private 24/7 medical centre in the area as it prepares to close its doors overnight. Stuff reports that the overnight closure – regarded as “short-sighted” and “extremely worrying” by residents – means locals will have no choice but to go to Middlemore Hospital’s emergency department for after-hours medical care. Botany and Pakuranga MPs Christopher Luxon and Simeon Brown said East Care was the busiest overnight service in all of Auckland, and was “critical” to the health of the community.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor