Safety concerns and fire risks have led to a decision to bar vehicles from the popular Muriwai beach over summer, reports Stuff. Vehicle access points at Coast Rd, Rimmer Rd, and Wilson Rd will be closed from December 23 until January 10, 2021. Locals living in the vicinity of the beach previously told Stuff they wanted Auckland Council to provide a better way to manage vehicles on it without closing access altogether. Muriwai local Bruce Ritchie said driver behaviour was increasingly bad, and there was a lack of respect for other beach users and the environment.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor