East Care Accident and Medical in Botany initiated its overnight service 24 years ago, because of the “significant” need for overnight care in the community, says Stuff, with about 650 people per month visiting overnight. But faced with mounting pressure, staff burnout, long wait times and “spiralling clinical risk”, the service – east and south Auckland’s only private 24-hour medical clinic – is closing down on Friday, December 18. East Care Group chief executive Gordon Armstrong said it is a move made with “enormous regret”, and not a decision “we’d ever have made voluntarily”.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor