NZ Herald reports that worsening gun violence linked to gang turf wars, illicit drugs and organised crime, has left more than 350 people with firearms injuries across Auckland in five years. More than half of the wounded were treated at Middlemore Hospital as violence in South Auckland spilled over into bloodshed. Auckland Mayor Phil Goff has serious concerns about the growing use of firearms. He has written to the Police Minister and will meet Deputy Police Commissioner John Tims next week to discuss how to tackle the spate of shootings and toxic impact of gangs.
- How accessible is Auckland? Terrain can be ‘daunting’ for people with disabilities
- Auckland radio station sold to prominent Destiny Church members
- Rookie finds real estate success with te ao Māori
- Local government elections: No confidence in dire voter turnout
- Police officer poses as window washer in Manurewa