NZ Herald reports that worsening gun violence linked to gang turf wars, illicit drugs and organised crime, has left more than 350 people with firearms injuries across Auckland in five years. More than half of the wounded were treated at Middlemore Hospital as violence in South Auckland spilled over into bloodshed. Auckland Mayor Phil Goff has serious concerns about the growing use of firearms. He has written to the Police Minister and will meet Deputy Police Commissioner John Tims next week to discuss how to tackle the spate of shootings and toxic impact of gangs.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor