The risk to public health from asbestos at a fire-damaged intermediate in central Auckland has been deemed “very low”, reports Stuff. Firefighters had carried out emergency decontamination, wetting their uniforms to control any fibres on Tuesday. The medical officer of health for the Auckland Regional Public Health Service said that, as the fire was a one-off incident and asbestos fibres were contained in roofing material, the public health risk was considered to be “very low”. “We have assured residents that while asbestos is known to have damaging health effects, this occurs only after high levels of exposure over long periods of time.”