Teacher aides are feeling “recognised and appreciated as professionals”, after a salary boost which came as a result of a long-running pay equity campaign. Teacher aides, mostly women, have previously been paid less than men for equal value work. Education Minister Chris Hipkins marked the wage increase by visiting Papatoetoe North School on Wednesday, to talk to teacher aides about what the salary boost means for them.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor