Cases of syphilis are on the rise, with Auckland Sexual Health Services noting that in some areas it is increasing due to poverty or inadequate healthcare access. Dr Sunita Azariah, a sexual health specialist, says, “We haven’t been given any additional resources to cope with this outbreak.” Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection which can be cured with antibiotics. Left untreated, it can affect the brain, spinal cord and other organs.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor