Northland Simon Trye claimed a Guinness World Record for the fastest half-marathon, wearing full firefighting kit and breathing apparatus. His efforts raised more than $14,000 for child charity KidsCan. Trye was one of about 14,000 people to take part in the Auckland Marathon events on November 1. When Auckland’s traffic foiled his world record attempt, he went on to successfully complete his goal at the Kerikeri Half Marathon on November 21. The 39-year-old is a firefighter for the New Zealand Air Force at Auckland’s Whenuapai, as well a volunteer firefighter in Kerikeri.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday