Tenants renting in South Auckland are being forced to decide if speaking up about their housing issues is worth the risk of being kicked out. Brooke Fiafia of Auckland Action Against Poverty says, “people do avoid complaining, because it’s a roof over their heads and because they know they don’t have any other choice.” As housing prices rise, renters of poorly managed properties may choose to simply stay quiet in order to ensure they can keep their homes.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor