Scott Hunter fears someone will be seriously injured if road safety improvements aren’t made, following a spate of crashes outside his Helensville home on Old North Road. He has purchased high vis vests, torches and beacons, and, along with neighbours, is on hand to help when a crash occurs. “So far we’ve not had an injury, but my biggest fear is that someone is going to get badly hurt here,” Hunter said. The frequency of crashes has picked up in the past four years, and Hunter estimated there had been at least 10 in the area since last Christmas.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor