Gordon Moller came up with the idea for the Sky Tower while drinking wine on a flight back from Toronto, The Spinoff reveals. He went on to create the building that rose to define a city. “I was familiar with towers around the world,” Moller says. “A lot of them were pretty ugly. If you’re going to create a tower… I felt it had to be beautiful.” But he faced a lot of flack for his ideas. “People hated it. People thought it looked like a sewer pipe. [They said] it was intruding on the landscape.” Now, the Sky Tower has come to define Auckland city’s skyline.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’