Sister cities Auckland and Los Angeles are celebrating 50 years of friendship, Auckland Council reveals. The relationship was established in 1972 following the launch of Air New Zealand’s direct flights between the two cities. Since then, Auckland’s longest-standing sister city partnership has provided economic and cultural benefits for each city. “The opportunity for us to connect with the city that’s the strongest base for creative industries… is something that provides real opportunities for our city,” said Auckland Mayor Phil Goff.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’