Global anti-transgender rhetoric and a resurgence in American homophobia is driving an anti-LGBT backlash in New Zealand, Newsroom reports. “These attacks over the last couple of months have been more bold and more brazen and more public than the day-to-day harassment or hate that community members have been subjected to,” says Max Tweedie, executive director of Auckland Pride. It isn’t only a job for the Government, however. Everyone can play a role in protecting and including rainbow communities.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’