Proposed changes to New Zealand’s political donation rules have put the spotlight on donors who give thousands, and the motivations they have for their generosity, Interest reports. Given the apparent confusion and disputed legal requirements around transparency, a basic question needs to be asked: why do wealthy New Zealanders donate to political parties? Even if policy is not explicitly discussed in such contexts, donors and politicians are clearly building close relationships, while ordinary voters do not generally get such privileged access.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’