The Government’s plan to reshape the supermarket sector has been met with mixed reactions, Newshub reveals, with some saying it won’t lead to lower prices. The Government plans to force Countdown and Foodstuffs to open up their wholesale arms to more competitors, but industry experts fear that will only increase the duopoly’s power. Auckland University of Technology senior research fellow Richard Meade said one solution could be a new supermarket retailer with its own wholesale arm, like US chain Costco.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’