With Auckland’s climate predicted to increase by 1.5-3.75 degrees Celsius by the end of the century, we need more tree cover to cool the region down, Auckland Council says. The Urban Ngahere (forest) Strategy has a goal of increasing the city’s tree canopy to 30% across our urban areas. Notably, tree coverage in South Auckland suburbs is much lower due to them being developed on agricultural land more recently and as a result, tree planting was not prioritised.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’