Violinist Andrew Beer’s day job is concertmaster for the Auckland Philharmonia (APO), RNZ reveals. But every now and then, Andrew gets up from his chair and moves more towards the centre of the stage, as the soloist in a violin concerto. In June, Andrew will premiere a brand-new concerto by major New Zealand composer Dame Gillian Karawe Whitehead. Called Tai Timu, Tai Pari, this piece is special for Andrew, who is a Canadian by birth, a Kiwi by choice and a huge fan of New Zealand contemporary composers.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’