Waka Kotahi will trial new safety cameras in Auckland, reports The Spinoff, in an effort to work out how many drivers use their phone, or don’t wear a seatbelt, while behind the wheel. The six-month trial will begin on Tuesday across two highways and a local road, and is the first of its kind in New Zealand. All images taken will be deleted within 48 hours, with a small number of anonymised images “kept for reporting purposes”.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’