Contrary to many assumptions, New Zealand’s economic response to Covid was among the worst in the world, reveals The Spinoff, in terms of widening wealth inequality and the wasteful use of taxpayer funds. Asset owners, who have been the beneficiaries of almost all the government’s direct support and central bank actions, are now astoundingly more wealthy. Working families and beneficiaries who pay rent are now mostly worse off or barely treading water since the first lockdowns in March 2020.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday