Crime is spiralling out of control in Aotearoa’s mega-city… or so the headlines will tell you. Newsroom reports that crime in Auckland’s CBD is no worse than it was in past years. The pandemic has pushed acts of crime to the streets and added eyes to those streets on a more consistent basis, but the numbers don’t indicate a significant uptick in crime. Moral panics follow a familiar pattern. First, a threat is identified, then the threat is amplified by the media. Next, a widespread sense of public concern spreads. Finally, regulations are put in place.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday