Facebook is promising to bring us into the future with the metaverse, RNZ says, but is that a future we want? To put simply, the metaverse is a virtual world where you can do a whole range of things with people from all over the world. Mark Zuckerberg calls it a place “to do almost anything you can imagine”. Matt Bartlett of the law school of the University of Auckland, has written about what’s going on. Bartlett shares his concerns with the metaverse and says our law must be able to regulate something like a virtual world. “Who gets to set the rules? Who enforces the rules? A lot of people just assume that it would just be the technology companies themselves who would enforce the rules and that’s incredibly concerning,” he says.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday