Beachgoers are warned not to touch dead poisonous porcupine fish that have washed up on several beaches on the North Island’s east coast and as far north as Auckland’s Snells Beach, Newshub reports. “This sometimes happens during stormy weather,” coastal scientist Dr Josie Crenshaw said. “We advise people and pets to keep a safe distance and not touch the fish as they have a neurotoxin in their skin and intestines.” Pufferfish contain an extremely potent neurotoxin called tetrodotoxin (TTX), which can cause muscle paralysis and an inability to breathe if ingested.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday