If vaccination rates remain below 90%, health experts fear the worst is yet to come for South Auckland, reports The Spinoff. If strong border controls and public health measures remained in place and the vaccination rate reached 90%, the Counties Manukau region would see only 40 cases per week. This number jumps to 200 cases per week if vaccination rates reach only 80%. Dr Collin Tukuitonga, associate professor of public health at the University of Auckland, says the pressure on Middlemore Hospital is already immense given “Māori and Pacific are most affected by the inequities in our society”.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions