The move to keep Auckland in Alert Level 4 for a further seven days – making it the longest stint in lockdown since the pandemic began – has been welcomed by health experts, who say we only have “one chance” to get the Covid-19 outbreak under control, Stuff reports. University of Auckland microbiologist Dr Siouxsie Wiles said Kiwis only needed to look across the Tasman for evidence of what could happen “when you don’t nail it”. This was echoed by epidemiologist Professor Michael Baker, who said the current response “was the right one”.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions