Auckland Libraries has wiped all overdue fines and won’t be issuing any in the future, regardless of how late a book is returned or where you live in Tāmaki Makaurau, RNZ reports. Louise LaHatte from Auckland Libraries says acccess to reading “should be available to everyone”, adding, “Fines are a barrier to that because there are people who just can’t afford fines.” The library says the new policy doesn’t include inter-library loan overdue fines for books requested from libraries outside of Auckland.
- In praise of public libraries, and those who work in them
- Costco’s $100 million Auckland store delays opening
- Consulting Group says New Zealand’s brand has never been stronger
- Auckland man allegedly behind prolific graffiti tag ’caused $250k in damage’
- Why the bank of mum and dad is now moving in with the kids