Why, in 2021, are we still ramming rubbish into holes in the ground? At least 17 councils have less than 10 years’ life left in their consented landfills, and their communities are fixing to fight any extensions or new tips, Stuff reports. New Zealand’s mountain of trash is ever-growing. Every year, we send about 3.7 million tonnes of rubbish to town landfills. That’s rocketed up by almost 50 per cent in the past decade. No-one knows how much more goes to industrial, construction and demolition landfills.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions