The Taliban’s shock return to power in Afghanistan has sparked anguish among New Zealand’s refugee communities and the families of those who lost loved ones in the 20-year conflict, Stuff reports. Taliban fighters took control of the Afghan presidential palace in Kabul, Afghanistan, on August 15. Kiwis with loved ones in Kabul are pleading for help and Prime Minister Jacinda Arden said New Zealand Defence Forces (NZDF) will be deployed to support evacuations of about 50 New Zealanders in Afghanistan and Afghan allies.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions