The Taliban’s shock return to power in Afghanistan has sparked anguish among New Zealand’s refugee communities and the families of those who lost loved ones in the 20-year conflict, Stuff reports. Taliban fighters took control of the Afghan presidential palace in Kabul, Afghanistan, on August 15. Kiwis with loved ones in Kabul are pleading for help and Prime Minister Jacinda Arden said New Zealand Defence Forces (NZDF) will be deployed to support evacuations of about 50 New Zealanders in Afghanistan and Afghan allies.
- Seven sharks found dead at Auckland beach
- Suburb Spotlight: Why you should visit Kingsland, Auckland
- Kiwis pledge to buy Whittakers to annoy people angered by te reo rebranding
- Auckland businesses back ACT’s plan for instant penalties for young offenders
- Auckland mayoralty race becoming ‘a cult of personality’