An oil painting of Kiwi aviator Jean Batten has been unearthed after almost three decades in the back room of a bank, Stuff reports. The portrait, originally painted around 1935, had been kept among archives at an ANZ branch in Wellington since the early 1990s. It depicts the woman who made the first solo flight from Britain to New Zealand in a “new light”, and was revealed at Auckland’s Museum of Transport & Technology (Motat) on Wednesday.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions