New data from the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) reveals pokie machine operators in south Auckland made $21 million in profits in the first quarter of 2021, Stuff reports. Even though the figures are down on the previous quarter, the amount being spent on gaming machines in south Auckland remains a serious concern according to Problem Gambling Foundation. Despite the Auckland Council’s sinking lid policy, the majority of venues continue to be located in high-deprivation areas like south Auckland.
- Auckland lockdown: More than half of students drop off radar at some schools
- Fire crews tackle large blaze at house in Sandringham, Auckland
- TV scientist Nanogirl inundated with vaccine questions from ‘petrified’ teachers
- 285 bids over 81 minutes: Inside the exhausting battle to buy an Auckland home
- Minimum wage earners, pensioners no longer qualify for legal aid