Coroner Sarn Herdson has ruled Aldrich Viju died aged 4 at an Auckland childcare centre, while he was playing with a set of toy stilts, RNZ reports. In November 2016, Viju was found unconscious on a slide at Angels Childcare Centre in Takapuna. Coroner Herdson said the boy had been seen with a plastic stilt, which had a long cord, over his shoulder. It appeared he climbed onto a plastic slide and the cord got caught around his neck and chest. Herdson recommended a WorkSafe safety alert about strangulation hazards on playground equipment to be republished and people be alerted to it.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions